Monday 16 February 2009

I remember

I remember then chickens! The birds in the cage! The nice little room where I slept! The plastic flowers! The outhouse! The little toilet by the barn that was still in use - with the tub you'd pee in.. I remember the little boat with water and flowers in it! The rabbits! The green yard with little trees, and the pear tree! The old kitchen with handmade counters! The giant bed in the master bedroom! The 50 year old Telephone! I remember the goat! The car without seatbelts! The neighbours horse! Vividly remembering the television, the mucky smelling carpet, the little dogs that bit, the little house on the lawn where I learned to play poker, the stoneset hedge in front of the house, the warm embraces when I came, the little rake and shovel to use with the flowers on the windowpane in the "Nice Living Room", the age-old "His Masters Voice"...

When I was 5, coming on 6, my mother had a big operation 800 km away from where we lived, staying there for two months and immediately after going away for 6 weeks for recreation. Meanwhile my father was almost always down there with her, my mothers parents were down there the whole time, and my 3 yo brother was either with them or my fathers parents the whole time. My older brother (7) and I were at school, 1st and 2nd grade respectively, and were either tended to by my father or this woman, Anita. Warm, motherly and becoming. She was supposed to stay at our house, but often "happened" to take us home with her. I loved it there. She was most always alone, all kids grown up, husband working as a trucker. When my mother was home again I would often visit Anita, and until I was 12 I felt as if her home was my second home. Then I kinda grew up, and it was not as inviting there anymore. I guess I got too old to be cute, or something. Today I got a call that the husband has died, and Anita is moving out. The place is by far not the same anymore, I have not been there for years. Some of the things, like the goat, have been gone for nearly 20 years. But I still remember..
Sigh..

Sorry for the OT.

On Topic: I had a girl sit on Cargo today without saddle, while teaching him to stand by the mounting block. Hes good, but still wont stand still when I place him beside the block in the corner. I may have to figure something different out.

No comments: