Sunday 21 December 2008

It changes so fast.

December 6 we had this small parade through the town with the horses, and I met one of the girls grandfather, as he was holding her pony. Week after when she came in for the weekly lesson I met him again, a tuesday. Then, this thursday I texted the girls mother that her Christmas Present had come in (I had found a helmet for the daughter on sale), and she wrote me back "Oh, not right now, Hans died yesterday".

He what? Little over a week ago he was proudly showing off pictures of his Oldenburgs that he had been breeding for almost half a century, the keured stallions, his mares of which three were due to foal in the spring, and all of a sudden he is gone? We were quite shocked everyone because it was so sudden - not because we knew the man well, but because he seemed so agile and healthy.

But then again, a few years ago I was with my best friend, talking, when he gets a call that his wife just dropped to the ground. She was dead, braindead, but her body lived a few more days. Just like.. Poof. Gone. End of the line. No more chances. Now you see me - now you dont. For no particular other reason that time was up and someone turned a switch. Makes us think.

No comments: