Thursday 11 December 2008

Thankyou, Rasmus the Farrier!

I've got the perfect farrier. He is punctual, flexible, skilled, patient and has an incredibly cute butt!!

We started out a little past noon, and before he left it was almost 13.30. It was only a trim and two front shoes! But Cargos feet are a hard nut to crack, especially the front feet, because they dont grow *down* - only *out*.
He is trying to trim the hind feet round and nice, and trying to keep the front feet from flaring so badly. I think we can manage it with a 6-week schedule instead of the 8-week schedule the previous owner had.
Last time (Which also was the first time) my farrier did Cargos hooves, he put on a 100% plain shoe because Cargo had no heel whatsoever :-/Now he was able to put a regular shoe on, and to my great joy, Cargos front hooves sound almost the same when he walks. He was also enjoyable to ride afterwards. I did not do a very good job of the riding, though. *Hangs head in shame*. I doubt the judge will do anything but laugh at me. Oh well. Add to that that I need to wear spurs (Havent tried yet) and that the arena will be divided with cavalettis - Cargo is deathly afraid of anything resemblings jumps - and you have the reciept for desaster.

Ah well. It can only teach me things.

No comments: