Wednesday 10 December 2008

Oh Dammit! (But I am strangely happy)

Today I wanted to spend extra much time with my horsie, so I went out there at 4 and got him and Magic from the pasture. Magics owner and I help each other getting them in and out, we save money and it is a little bit nice to see your horse more than just when you ride it. I had a lesson at 19.30 so I puttered around, tried his new bridle on him in his box, fixed a few things on it, helped other people, talked, and at 18.40 I went to groom and tack him up.
His hooves said "put put clop put put put clop put put put clop put". Oh crap, the horse lost his right front shoe in the pasture, and I did not even notice it with having him and Magic in my hands at the same time, just putting Cargo in the box and then tending to Magics blankets etc.

I checked him, his hoof is not hot, nor have the nails damaged his hoof, in fact, it looks sound and well. I did consider pulling the other shoe, but it was not loose, so I let him get the evening off, grudgingly. I hope he did not sense my anger as an anger directed towards him, I tried to rid myself of it and just feed him carrots and hay.

But I texted my farrier and he replied instantly "How about tomorrow at noon?". Oh what a good guy he is! So Cargo will get out with his favourite pasturemate Pluto, a 16.3 hh black warmblood gelding until noon, then a pedicure, and we'll practice for the show. Maybe another hour of pasture while I clean some tack up for the show and clean his box. Magic wont go out in the pasture before 10.30ish either (Show training ;), so it will be good for both of them to stay out a little longer, maybe 16.00ish, until it gets dark.

And I was lucky, my 20$ private lesson was taken by somebody else so I wont have to take a loss :) Otherwise I would have taken this old gal out:

Regina is a 20 yo grade warmblood (Oldenburg/Trakehener X, best guess). She is obese at the best, but I have access to her, and that way I would not have thrown away my money completely. I have many fond memories attatched to her, as she was Basses pasturemate the whole summer long, just the two, on a tiny farm way out... sigh.

No comments: