Sunday 4 January 2009

Cant Canter

Yesterday, it seemed as if everybody wanted to ride at the same time. Understandably so, before dinner and after the horses pasture time was over, a gap of 2-3 hours. When I rode there were 5 horses in the arena, one of which is a young (5) gelding who, in his owners words, only has one braincell ;-) (I agree). He was really good when he was finally warmed up, and at one point he really started trotting well, going forward, lifting his legs. Maybe because I at that point rode better than usual?
We tried cantering, but there was so much pressure because I had to ask everybody, especially Pluto (The young one) to go to the other side of the arena because I had no clue if Cargo would weer off, if I would fall or some such. It is hard to canter! In the first two tries I leaned crazily forward, which of course stopped him in his tracks immediately. The next two tries I leaned back, and actually got one or two strides on the right lead, but I was holding on too tightly on the reins. Ah well, today Lis will help me, I am sure. Hopefully the arena wont be as full as yesterday, too. We originally had planned to go hacking, but I doubt she will want to go out in this pea-soup weather, well I can always hope!

If everything goes like planned I will test-clip Cargo today too, to see how bad he reacts to the clipper (Seller used to sedate him), and what I need to do to keep him comfortable, or if he maybe can get used to the clipper if I work with him.

No comments: