Wednesday 21 January 2009

Onward

With Basse, it took 4 months to get to the canter. With Regina, her owner chased her with a whip the second time I rode her. With Cargo, I did try cantering after 2 months and 10 days. Today, 3 months and 1 day after I got him, WE DID IT! I took my own sweet time, we have trotted so much, walked, and I get better every day, I dont believe we have started cantering one day too soon. Last time I tried on him, I think I made the mistake of starting at the end of a long side in the arena, meaning he could not go forward and "find our balance", plus I leaned forward, let go of everything and so on.

But, to be honest, I think his canter is the easiest thing I have ever sat on. He canters incredibly smooth. So now I can learn how to canter, too! I have set a goal for us to ride a beginners dressage test around May 1. I will need to walk, trot and canter relaxed 20 m circles and trot a ½ 10-m circle. All but the cantering circle is easy-peasy, so I am looking forward to the test :)
We also did some acceptable sidepasses, but man is it hard to control my body with those long legs dangling and the hands and my shoulders and the horse is losing his butt..

(I made my teacher laugh out loudly when he told me the horse was "Losing his Butt", and I asked him how I was supposed to remedy that, after all I could not pick it up and put it in my pocket!)

No comments: