Wednesday 28 January 2009

That amazing Being

Oh wow, Cargo-Argo was good today. He was very forward, which was good. He has had a lot of time off since last wednesday - I lunged him Thursday, rode him Friday, then he had Saturday off, we rode the trails for an hour Sunday, Monday I wanted to ride but had forgotten there was a meeting I had to go to, and yesterday he met the vet for his yearly shots. His teeth were floated too. So he should be good to go for another year!
He was very forward, and more giving than usual, more supple. I actually had to practice my half-halts, and we did many transitions because he was constantly running away from under me! Now, what a change in the horse. We did circles, the big ones were OK but with the small ones he was not so sure - so we did a lot of them. Shoulder-in, shoulder-out, leg yielding, you name it. He was on the bit more than he was not, so success! When we were almost finished I asked him to pick up a canter, and he instantly reacted and jumped forward into a big bold canter. Weeehee. I get more and more familiar with that gait, and soon I am sure we will be able to do good transitions from the canter too, just as I am now able to, sometimes, keep him on the bit in my transitions walk/trot/halt. Right now, when I try to transition to the trot from canter, he gets heavy in front and "falls over". My fault! But oh my God, he is such a good horse. I am sorry to leave him when I have to go home, want to kiss and pet him just one more time!

No comments: